Whether it is the first baby or the fifth, every expectant mother knows that her diet is important not only for her health but for the health of her unborn child. A lot of focus during pregnancy is put on eating vitamins and minerals to ensure that both mother and child are healthy.
These 10 vitamins and minerals are important for mothers and babies:
- Vitamin C: This antioxidant protects tissues from damage, builds a healthy immune system and does other good things. It can be found in citrus, bell peppers, green beans, broccoli, potatoes, and other foods.
- Vitamin A: This helps bones and teeth grow and can be found in liver, milk, carrots, eggs, and spinach.
- Vitamin D: This helps our bodies use calcium and helps develop strong teeth and bones and is found in sunshine, milk, and fatty fish.
- Vitamin E: This vitamin is good for helping people form new and use red blood cells in their bodies. It can be found in vegetable oil, nuts, spinach, and some cereals.
- Zinc: Zinc helps made insulin and other enzymes, and it can be found in red meat, beans, nuts, whole grains and some cereals.
- Folic Acid: Folic Acid helps support the placenta and can help prevent spina bifida. Folic acid can be found in oranges, orange juice, spinach, cauliflower, strawberries, pasta, beans, nuts, and other foods.
- Protein helps in the production of amino acids and it repairs cells. Protein can be found in meat, poultry, eggs, dairy, legumes, and nuts.
- Iron helps make blood healthier by producing hemoglobin, preventing anemia, preventing low birthweight, and premature delivery. Iron is found in beef, pork, spinach, dried beans and dried fruits, green leafy vegetables.
- Calcium: Calcium helps create healthy bones and teeth and it’s important to prevent blood clots as well as making muscles and nerves function correctly. Calcium can be found in milk, cheddar cheese, soy milk, juice, bread, cereals, and many other foods.
- Vitamin B12 is important for DNA synthesis and may prevent some birth defects. This vitamin can be found in shellfish, beef, liver, pork, eggs, poultry, and other foods.
A well-balanced diet is important for expectant mothers. Speak with your doctor to ensure your diet is well-rounded for your health and your baby’s. If you are pregnant, you want to look good as well as feel good.